RE: st: Graphing a string variable

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: Graphing a string variable
Date   Fri, 5 Oct 2007 17:31:04 +0100

I agree with Alan. Although graphics with string variables
is not out of the question in Stata, it will prove limited and frustrating,
partly because of a in-built tendency to sort values by alphabetic order.

You are much better off working with numeric variables and
value labels.

As for bar charts showing frequencies, a rather basic graph
for many, official Stata is surprisingly ornery. I usually
miaow and reach for -catplot- from SSC, supposedly, like
Catwoman circa 1965, purrfect for the purrpose.

Here is some technique.

. sysuse auto, clear
(1978 Automobile Data)

. gen newrep78 = cond(rep78 <= 2, 1, cond(rep78 == 3, 2, 3))

. tab rep78 newrep78

    Repair |
    Record |             newrep78
      1978 |         1          2          3 |     Total
-----------+---------------------------------+----------
         1 |         2          0          0 |         2
         2 |         8          0          0 |         8
         3 |         0         30          0 |        30
         4 |         0          0         18 |        18
         5 |         0          0         11 |        11
-----------+---------------------------------+----------
     Total |        10         30         29 |        69

. label def newrep78 1 "1 or 2" 2 "3" 3 "4 or 5"

. label val newrep78 newrep78

. catplot bar newrep78

In your case, you are starting with a string; otherwise
that's the basic idea.

Alan Neustadtl

> The encode command may be what you are looking for.
>
> help encode provides the following:
>
> encode varname [if] [in] , generate(newvar) [label(name) noextend]
>
> "encode creates a new variable named newvar based on the
> string variable
>     varname, creating, adding to, or just using (as
> necessary) the value label
>     newvar or, if specified, name.  Do not use encode if
> varname contains
>     numbers that merely happen to be stored as strings;
> instead, use generate
>     newvar = real(varname) or destring; see real() or [D] destring."

Colleen Murphy