Re: st: How to select missing variables for analysis?

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: How to select missing variables for analysis?
Date   Thu, 4 Oct 2007 14:20:35 +0100 (BST)

--- Ziad El-Khatib <> wrote:
> it might be very basic question, but any tips will be great!
> In my dataset, missing variables are given value of "888", I know how
> to label them as missing in SPSS and this won't affect analysis, so
> they will not be shown.
> I ma trying to find a way to let STATA analyse dataset by avoiding
> including records with value 888 in variable "weight" (for example)

A missing value in Stata is refered to as ".", so you can use -recode-,
to turn the values 888 into . :
recode weight (888=.)

Or if you prefer to keep the original variable intact, you can type:
recode weight (888=.), gen(newweight)

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam