st: RE: local macro tempvar troubles

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: local macro tempvar troubles
Date   Wed, 3 Oct 2007 12:55:39 +0100

I get the impression this isn't your real code.

The essence of what I think is biting you can
be seen in

	clear
	set obs 100
	tempvar frog
	gen `frog' = 0
	gen `toad' = 0

If you run this, generation of `frog' will
work, but not that of `toad'. Why not?

1. Local macros that have not been defined
are treated as empty (null). Referring to
a local macro that does not yet exist is
not in itself an error, but its consequences
may be. In this case, `toad' does not exist,
so Stata sees

	gen = 0

which is illegal in Stata. Specifying a
-double- type does not affect this issue.

2. You have two ways of declaring a local
macro to Stata. You can explicitly define
one

	local answer "Stata"
	local answer = 42

When you do that you specify name (answer)
and contents (whatever they are) in one go.

Alternatively, you can flag that you
will be using a macro with a particular
name.

	tempname toad

flags that you will be referring to `toad'
later in your program. Stata will create a unique name
and let you use `toad' as an alias for it.
In your case you want to create a temporary
variable, so the alternative

	tempvar toad

makes your intention even clearer.

In your example you had a typo that you found.
It's my bet, although it's not obvious from
your example, that in your real code there is at
least one other typo. It's likely to be more subtle than
the difference between `frog' and `toad'. But it will
be there.

In well-developed text editors, you will have a command that
lets you search for the identifier under the cursor,
or that in equivalent terminology. So, this kind of error is
easier to spot in a good editor.

Timothy Dang