st: RE: RE: Do 2sls, ivreg etc. test the rank condition of identification?

Subject   st: RE: RE: Do 2sls, ivreg etc. test the rank condition of identification?
Date   Tue, 2 Oct 2007 20:12:25 +0100

Thomas,

I oversimplified.  You have system estimation in mind, which is a little
more complex than the 1-equation case I was thinking of.  But the same
principles apply.

There are two ways the rank condition can fail in the system framework.
One way is the one you have in mind.  There is a matrix that depends on
the parameters of the model that has to be full rank in order for the
system to be identified.  It's possible that your model and a priori
restrictions are such that the matrix is not full rank.  This is the
first part of the example that Wooldridge works through on p. 219.  His
equation 9.24 is a 2x3 matrix with two columns of zeros, so it can have
at most rank=1, and so the first equation is unidentified.

The other way the rank condition can fail is the way I described in my
full rank.  In other words, the rank of the matrix depends on the values
of the parameters, but these are not known with certainty - you estimate
them.  This is the second part of Wooldridge's example on p. 219: "It is
left to you to show that the rank condition holds if and only if d_13
\ne 0 and at least one of d_32 and d_34 is different from zero."  But
you can't know if these conditions hold for sure - you have to estimate
the rank and test the associated hypothesis that Wooldridge states.

That Stata doesn't complain below means that indeed it isn't checking
the rank condition for you.  It's not too surprising, I suppose.

Hope this helps.

--Mark