st: Generating a sequence of numbers in Mata

From   "Le Wang" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Generating a sequence of numbers in Mata
Date   Mon, 1 Oct 2007 20:21:20 -0500

Hi there,

I have another question in Mata that I couldn't figure out.

Suppose that I want to generate a sequence of numbers, equally spaced
between ajacent numbers.

mata drop seq()
real vector seq(real scalar from, real scalar to, real scalar increment)
{
	n=((to-from)+increment)/increment  /* Number of points*/

	x=J(n,1,0)

	for (i=1;i<=n;i++){
		x[i,.]=from+increment*(i-1)
	}

	return(x)
}

This function works well when the end points are integers, but fails
otherwise. In particular, the last point is always missing when the
end points are NOT integers. Compare the following codes:

x=seq(4,11,1)

x=seq(4.2,6.1,.1)

Can anyone tell me where I am wrong here? Many thanks.

Le

--
Le Wang, Ph.D.