st: RE: Does my statistic for "net proportion of subjects with improved prediction" already exist?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Does my statistic for "net proportion of subjects with improved prediction" already exist?
Date   Fri, 28 Sep 2007 17:16:37 +0100

I wouldn't worry about reinventing the wheel. The wheel
was a very good idea. My own discipline, whatever it is,
is plagued with papers that propose square or other
non-circular wheels and then bask in the supposed
originality or creativity of the proposals.

I can't comment on whatever is your field. But
any measure that is a difference of probabilities
(proportions), as yours is, has clear anchor points
at +1, 0 and -1 and is attractive on that and other
grounds.

Other examples include some flavours of
rank correlations and related measures (including
the always popular Somers' d) and, on a more pedestrian
level, those discussed at

http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/data/measures.html

On a different level, it is neither necessary nor
efficient to create a new variable just to hold
a total, as in

. egen number_up_outcome=total(p_new>p_old & outcome)
. egen number_down_outcome=total(p_new<p_old & outcome)

. egen number_up_no_outcome=total(p_new>p_old & !outcome)
. egen number_down_no_outcome=total(p_new<p_old & !outcome)

Using -count- consistently will save you from a bundle
of such variables, all holding constants. For bullet-proof
code, you would need to trap missings (which count
as arbitrarily large) and ensure that the two estimation
samples here were identical. Note that missing values
of -outcome- would count as true.

logistic outcome zlog zero
gen byte used = e(sample)
predict p_old

logistic outcome zlog zero new_marker
// script will fail if two samples differ
assert used == e(sample)
predict p_new

count if used
local N = r(N)

count if p_new > p_old & used & outcome == 1
local a = r(N)
count if p_new < p_old & used & outcome == 1
local b = r(N)

Daniel Waxman