st: RE: Loop question

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: Loop question
Date   Fri, 28 Sep 2007 15:42:09 +0100

I take it the typical observation (case, record) is for
a patient's visit and includes -arrdt- and -dcdt-.

I think a loop may be needed _with this data structure_.

gen already = .
qui forval i = 1/`= _N' {
	count if arrdt < arrdt[`i'] & dcdt > dcdt[`i']
	replace already = r(N) in `i'
}

It is easier in a different data structure which
has two observations for every patient visit. Then
you create a score +1 for an arrival and -1 for a departure
and use -sum()- to get the number in the queue.
Subtract 1 to get -already-.

This different data structure could be got via
-reshape long-.

Other questions about timing would I think
always be easier in that data structure.

-search count- to find a reference to Stata Journal tutorials on
how useful -count- can be.

Steve Pitts