Re: st: graph box error

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: graph box error
Date   Thu, 27 Sep 2007 09:03:44 +0200

Puzzling. What I see here is that wsestata.exe is installed in "c:/",
which is bit unusual. With this setting, the "official" ado-directories
and the "unofficial ado-directories" share the same directory root,
namely "C:/ado". I, personally, would not want this but I'm not sure
whether this can be the explanation for the weired behavior.

You can try to reinstall Stata using a more common directory root for
the installation (just keep the default setting of the installer).
Otherwise I recommend to contact [email protected] with this.

Many regards
Uli

Am Mittwoch, den 26.09.2007, 21:07 -0700 schrieb Catherine Williams:
> . update query
> (contacting http://www.stata.com)
>
> Stata executable
>     folder:               C:\
>     name of file:         wsestata.exe
>     currently installed:  25 Jul 2007
>     latest available:     25 Jul 2007
>
> Ado-file updates
>     folder:               C:\ado\updates\
>     names of files:       (various)
>     currently installed:  19 Sep 2007
>     latest available:     19 Sep 2007
>
> Recommendation
>     Do nothing; all files up to date.
>
> . sysuse auto, clear
> (1978 Automobile Data)
>
> . graph box mpg, over(rep78)
> variable _box_sort not found
> r(111);
>
> . graph box mpg, over(rep78)
> variable rep78 not found
> r(111);
>
> The last command output was a strange one as variable
> rep78 patently is one of the variable in auto.dta.
>
> Otherwise other functions seem to be unaffected, so
> far!

Catherine Williams:
> > Hi, I am new to Stata but am working through
> > Ulrich
> > > Kohler's Data Analysis using Stata to get to grip
> > with
> > > the software. One of the example:
> > >
> > > .graph box income, over(emp) produces this error:
> > > variable _box_sort not found
> > > r(111);
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > variable _000006 not found in using data
> > > r(111);
> > >
> > > or
> > >
> > > variable emp not found
> > > r(111);
> > >
> > > on different attempts to produce the graph.
> > >
> > > I have also tried:
> > >
> > > .sysuse auto, clear
> > > .graph box mpg, over(rep78) which produces the
> > same
> > > errors.

Ulrich Kohler: