st: Generating a new variable containing the percentile for each observation

From   David Haardt <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Generating a new variable containing the percentile for each observation
Date   Wed, 26 Sep 2007 15:36:13 -0400

Dear Statalisters,

I have two variables s20 and s10 -- essentially, these are test scores with
a time break. In earlier years, the test was carried out on a 20-point
scale, and afterwards on a 10-point scale.

I would like to convert the 20-point results to 10-point results by using
percentiles. Basically, if somebody scored in the 80th percentile using the
20-point scale, I would like to replace the missing s10 value by the value
equal to the 80th percentile when using the 10-point scale.

What would be the easiest way to do this?

I know about pctile and xtile, but am looking for a command that, for each
observation of s20, tells me the percentile of this score. In the second
step, I would then identify which value in s10 corresponds to that
percentile, perhaps by using _pctile

I would be grateful for any suggestions you may have.

Best wishes,

David

--
David Haardt <[email protected]>
Department of Economics, McMaster University