st: re: a question on looping

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: a question on looping
Date   Tue, 18 Sep 2007 18:56:18 -0400

Asgar said
On using " matrix symeigen" command you are correct. I had a typo
mistake and i meant what you meant. I need only check with you on the
basic definition of a symmetric matrix. A symmetric matrix ,by
definition, is a quadratic matrix that its off-diagonal element are the
same but its diagonal elements can be equal o

Correct, a symmetric matrix can be reflected around the main diagonal. Please note that package 'geneigen' will deal with a real square matrix, whether or not symmetric, and it works in Stata 7.0 up. As Nick notes, in Stata 9 or 10, Stata can do this itself.

ssc desc geneigen

to install.

* For searches and help try: