st: Country dummies and "matrix not positive definite" error

From   "Chris O'Keefe" <[email protected]>
To   "Stata list" <[email protected]>
Subject   st: Country dummies and "matrix not positive definite" error
Date   Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:38:16 -0700

Hi all-
I'm running ordered probit models on project level foreign aid data.
I'm running multiply imputed datasets through clarify to get my
predicted probabilities.  I've run my base models, and I want to check
them against a model with country dummies.  When I attempt this, I get
a "matrix not positive definite" error message.  I've done this with
using robust and with standard errors clustered by country.  Here's my
code:

estsimp oprobit enviroimpact2 wbcofinancer wbcofyr  ldevcom
lwbenvirocount lepiisdb lngo ligdp ligdpgrowth  liexportsgnp lischlsec
lipotwat lisulfdiox lithrtndmamm licoallandarea liorgpollperh20
liforest lpop lpolity2 lcorrupt lgovstab  _Jcount*,  robust mi(isdbno)

where _Jcount* is shorthand for my country dummies, created previously with xi.

Is the solution similar to this* thread?  I.e., do I simply need to
ensure that my ado files are properly updated?

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Thanks,
Chris O'Keefe

*http://www.stata.com/statalist/archive/2006-10/msg00097.html