st: Country dummies and "matrix not positive definite" error

From   "Chris O'Keefe" <>
To   "Stata list" <>
Subject   st: Country dummies and "matrix not positive definite" error
Date   Mon, 17 Sep 2007 17:38:16 -0700

Hi all-
I'm running ordered probit models on project level foreign aid data.
I'm running multiply imputed datasets through clarify to get my
predicted probabilities.  I've run my base models, and I want to check
them against a model with country dummies.  When I attempt this, I get
a "matrix not positive definite" error message.  I've done this with
using robust and with standard errors clustered by country.  Here's my

estsimp oprobit enviroimpact2 wbcofinancer wbcofyr  ldevcom
lwbenvirocount lepiisdb lngo ligdp ligdpgrowth  liexportsgnp lischlsec
lipotwat lisulfdiox lithrtndmamm licoallandarea liorgpollperh20
liforest lpop lpolity2 lcorrupt lgovstab  _Jcount*,  robust mi(isdbno)

where _Jcount* is shorthand for my country dummies, created previously with xi.

Is the solution similar to this* thread?  I.e., do I simply need to
ensure that my ado files are properly updated?

I'd appreciate any help on this.

Chris O'Keefe