Re: RE: st: Appending several excel data sets into one

From   "Sergiy Radyakin" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: RE: st: Appending several excel data sets into one
Date   Mon, 17 Sep 2007 14:52:37 +0200

Excel does not provide a facility to access sheet names?????????
Download utilities????
What are we talking about?
Public Sub Liste()
    ActiveWorkbook.Sheets.Add
    i = 1
    For Each Sheet In ActiveWorkbook.Sheets
        ActiveSheet.Cells(i, 1).Select
        If ActiveSheet.Name = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(i).Name Then
          Selection.Value = "Index"
          Selection.Font.Bold = 1
        Else
          Selection.Value = ActiveWorkbook.Sheets(i).Name
        End If
        i = i + 1
    Next
End Sub
This will create an index sheet in an arbitrary Excel file.
(No external utilities or black magic required).
Will probably work on every Excel version from the late 1980s or so...
Couple of lines can obviously be removed, but are left for clarity.

As for the types of variables, you can simply declare cells of having
cirtain type, e.g. numeric, or strings, or dates in exactly the same
way you will do it in any other system. Since Stata supports only two
types of variables, you do not see it very often explicitly, unless
you want to create a new variable. (oh, yes, yes, there are date
variables in Stata 10 too.)  However istead of directly specifiying
the type, you rely on the "The DaVinci Code of the Missings":

gen a = .
gen b = ""

so having seen this, any new-comer will be puzzled by the following line:

gen c = "."

What is the variable type? Is it assigned missing values ? How can I be sure?

Excel will do a good job as long as it is programmed to do it. Just
switch off all automatic "bells and whistles"  and tell it what you
want to do in a program (same as you do in Stata).

At least when it comes to programming, Excel is much superrior to
Stata with its Yeti-like macros found in no other interpreters aside
assembler.

I have originally suggested to append the sheets in Excel, and after
following the responces with StatTransfer etc. still think it is not a
bad idea.

Best regards,
   Sergiy Radyakin