st: New package -bmjcip- on SSC

From   "Newson, Roger B" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: New package -bmjcip- on SSC
Date   Sat, 15 Sep 2007 17:53:25 +0100

Thanks to Kit Baum, a new package -bmjcip- is now available for download
from SSC. In Stata, use the -ssc- command to do this.

The -bmjcip- command is described as below on my website. It is an
inelegant instant one-line solution to the problem of reformatting
numeric confidence intervals and P-values produced by -parmest- to a
string format as used by medical journals, so they can be output to
tables using -listtex- and pasted into a Microsoft Word table. P-values
less than 0.00001 are reformatted as X.Yx10-Z, where X and Y are digits
and Z is an integer. Unfortunately, the user must superscript the "-Z"
manually in Microsoft Word.

This problem exists because most medics are unaccustomed to seeing ALL
P-values presented in the eminently sensible %-9.1e format (ie
left-justified X.Ye-Z without any superscripting). Unfortunately, even
medical statisticians have not reached a consensus on the best way to
present P-values, never mind starting the long, hard process of
reprogramming our non-statistical colleagues. In the meantime, we need
to produce Microsoft Word tables for submission to medical journals, in
order to earn a living, so I wrote -bmjcip- to save some repetitive

Best wishes

Roger Newson
Lecturer in Medical Statistics
National Heart and Lung Institute
Imperial College London
Royal Brompton campus
Room 33, Emmanuel Kaye Building
1B Manresa Road
London SW3 6LR
Tel: +44 (0)20 7352 8121 ext 3381
Fax: +44 (0)20 7351 8322
Web page:
Departmental Web page:

package bmjcip from

      bmjcip: Format confidence intervals and P-values for medical

      bmjcip reformats a list of numeric variables, containing
      confidence limits and (optionally) P-values, to string variables,
      the same values formatted for presentation in medical journals.
The new
      string variables replace the old numeric variables, and have the
same names,
      variable labels, and positions in the dataset.  bmjcip is usually
used in
      output datasets (or resultssets) produced by the parmest package,
and the
      reformatted string variables are later output using the listtex
package for
      input to Microsoft Word.  It requires the sdecode package in order
to work.
      The sdecode, parmest and listtex packages can all be downloaded
from SSC.
      Author: Roger Newson
      Distribution-Date: 14september2007
      Stata-Version: 9

INSTALLATION FILES                                  (click here to
(click here to return to the previous screen)