st: Permutation vs. QAP

From   Zachary Neal <>
Subject   st: Permutation vs. QAP
Date   Fri, 14 Sep 2007 06:21:23 -0700 (PDT)

I am trying to decide how best to approach a
regression in which the DV and IVs are all distance
matrices.  QAP seems to be the standard approach in
work on social networks.  However, my matrices are
3-dimensional, and I haven't seen an extension of QAP
to this case.  I'm wondering if vectorizing the
matrices, then and using -permute- and -regress-
together will yield the same result: more accurate
standard errors (as I understand it, the coefficients
themselves are not problematic).  Any thoughts on this
approach?  Has anyone seen a comparison of the results
of QAP vs. premuation of a vectorized matrix?

Zachary Neal, ABD
Managing Editor, City & Community
University of Illinois at Chicago