Re: st: To STATA experts - BOOK

From   SamL <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: To STATA experts - BOOK
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2007 19:26:16 -0700 (PDT)

The missive offers an interesting set of observations.  My query to the
author is, what do I (or any other user) care if some people get
frustrated and decide to go back to point-and-click programs?  If they can
do their research that way, fine, good for them.  If they can't, and they
try to and fail and thus don't get their degree, don't get published, cost
their company money with bad decisions based on flawed research, and/or
get fired from their jobs in companies, well, it happens.  Sad, but it
happens, and worse things have happened as well.

I would venture to say that many (most?, all?) on this list are helping
out of the goodness of their hearts.  But the responsibility for learning
the tools of one's trade ultimately fall on the apprentice, not the
public.

Perhaps the complaint/request should be directed at StataCorp rather than
statalist; StataCorp likely has more of an interest in retaining every
user than do those on statalist who are on it for the help they can get
from people who are going above and beyond the call of duty by offering
free assistance, and for the opportunity to offer help to people who are
willing to ask a question while still accepting the responsibility of
doing their own work as well.

Respectfully yours,
Sam