Re: st: To STATA experts - BOOK

From   Ulrich Kohler <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: To STATA experts - BOOK
Date   Thu, 13 Sep 2007 11:28:49 +0200

> Dear Stata experts,
>
> Why donĀ“t you write down a book "Stata for dummies"?
>
> Current available books on Stata are insufficient for non-statisticians
> researchers. Most examples on Stata programming are ridiculous.
> Furthermore, there is no book commenting on common errors and problems
> when running analyses with Stata. You could use the Statalist to summarize
> the 100 most common problems/errors in Stata, put them together,
> illustrate with nice examples and drawings, add things you think are
> important and, finnaly, a "Stata for dummies" shows up.
>
> Then, you could come out with "Beginning Stata Programming For Dummies"
> and, eventually, "Stata - All-in-One Desk Reference for Dummies" or
> something like that.

As author of the book "Data Analysis Using Stata" I would be interested
in which sense you think that the book is insufficient (or even
ridiculous) for non-statisticans researchers. "Data Analysis Using
Stata" is written for students without statistical knowledge, and
without knowledge of a statistical software package. It tries to teach
data analysis by showing how to analyze data with Stata. If there are
serious shortcomings in the approach of the book I would be curious to
hear about them, so that the book can be improved in future releases.
Many regards

Uli

030 25491-361