Re: st: Assigning labels of 1 file into another file?

From   "David Elliott" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: Assigning labels of 1 file into another file?
Date   Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:38:54 -0300

I have a what is perhaps a related question.

Imagine, as is frequently the case, we have a main file, eg:
code measure1 measure2 ...

with another cross-reference file containing:
code description ...

Such code cross-reference combinations are common when dumping from
relational databases.

Typically one might do a merge, but this can be a problem if the
description is long and the main file is very large.  What one really
wants is the cross-reference file to provide value labels to the main
file.  This is both fast and parsimonious of space.  I looked for such
a program without success so I wrote my own.  I would be interested if
anyone knew of a user contributed program to do this, or if anyone
else felt the need for such a program, in which case I might spruce it
up for public consumption.

DC Elliott