st: xtset -- data with multiple vars for uniquely identifying individuals

From   Karen Robson <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: xtset -- data with multiple vars for uniquely identifying individuals
Date   Tue, 11 Sep 2007 17:06:40 +0100

Hi there

I have longitudinal panel data where there are two variables that uniquely identify an individual (pid and country). There are also 8 waves of the data. I want to xtset the data but my individual identifier is a combination of pid and country. Is this possible? I can only see in the documentation where panelvar is designated with a single variable.

I realize that I can make a new variable that combines pid and country, but would like to know if there are alternatives.

I should also note that the pids are not unique to each country – that is, there are times when a pid is used in more than one country. So it is imperative that the pid and country vars are used together to uniquely identify cases.

 (the data in question are the ECHP in case you are interested!)

Cheers for any feedback.

Karen

Dr. Karen Robson

Marie Curie Research Fellow