st: simple method to identify string variables?

From   David Radwin <>
Subject   st: simple method to identify string variables?
Date   Fri, 7 Sep 2007 11:38:26 -0700

Dear Statalisters,

Is there a simple way to identify string variables using an if statement? As an obviously contrived example, suppose I wanted to use the -mean- command for all numeric variables. I would get this error message:

. sysuse auto,clear
. mean _all
varlist: make: string variable not allowed

Can I limit the command to numeric variables only? I suspect there is an easy, even obvious solution, but I can't find it anywhere.

David Radwin, Principal Analyst //
Office of Student Research, University of California, Berkeley
* For searches and help try: