Re: Repost: finding median when using svy?

From   ucb_gal <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: Repost: finding median when using svy?
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2007 12:44:56 -0700 (PDT)

the program below doesn't support pweights.  is it ok to just exclude them or is there another proxy i should use.

thanks so much for your help (both of you!!) and sorry about my confusion here!

----- Original Message ----
From: Austin Nichols <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Sent: Thursday, September 6, 2007 12:31:29 PM
Subject: Re: Repost: finding median when using svy?

Stas is right, and you should read the references he cites.
Note that the problem is not one of estimating the median (that's
easy), but of estimating the standard error. To get an incorrect SE,
you can:

webuse nhanes2
prog mymed
 qreg height [aw=finalw]
end
bs, cluster(psu): mymed

but if you don't care about the SE, you can ignore the clustering
induced by your survey design and just

qreg height [aw=finalw]