st: re: loop over files, storing r(class), create new dta file

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: re: loop over files, storing r(class), create new dta file
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2007 07:41:48 -0400

B.Water wants to loop over a bunch of commands and store something from each in a new Stata datafile.
Earlier today I posted a message (with the wrong subject line, sorry) suggesting the slideshow "A little bit of Stata programming..." to another user. B.Water will find that useful. The slideshow in expanded form is Appendix B of my book.

Re the notion of storing something from each trip through the loop, B.Water should -help post-. The -post- and -postfile- commands will allow him to store any number of items (string and numeric) as a new observation in a separate Stata dataset. My earlier posting

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/lwgate/STATALIST/archives/ statalist.0709/Date/article-17.html

illustrates that trick (as well as the use of -forvalues-; B.Water probably needs -foreach-).

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html

* For searches and help try:
* http://www.ats.ucla.edu/stat/stata/