st: Re: reg3 command and first stage estimations

From   Kit Baum <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   st: Re: reg3 command and first stage estimations
Date   Thu, 6 Sep 2007 06:39:18 -0400

You have specified a model with 27 endogenous variables and 18 exogenous variables (none of which are included in the specification). That in itself is a peculiar specification for a simultaneous equations system as in such a system the exogenous variables are meant to appear somewhere; it is their exclusion from various equations that provides identification, but the exog() list in reg3 should indicate that those variables appear in at least one equation as regressors. In your case the exclusion restrictions exclude all exogenous variables from all equations.

You should have 27 FSRs as you have 27 endogenous variables.

I suspect that as you are specifying the identical set of exogenous variables in each of those FSRs that there is no gain from 3SLS, and you would be just as well off specifying each individual equation in 2SLS terms. That would also reduce the possibility that misspecification or failure of orthogonality conditions in one equation would pollute the entire system. If you estimate each equation with IV/2SLS (or IV-GMM, if you want to allow for robust, cluster, etc.) you will avoid that problem.

http://ideas.repec.org/e/pba1.html