st: RE: RE: Matrix command - vecdiag?

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Matrix command - vecdiag?
Date   Tue, 4 Sep 2007 19:36:07 +0100

This thread was resolved otherwise, but I just want
to comment on one detail.

Brent's code pivoted on looping over dataset
names using

local rownames1 = "`rownames1' `u'_replication_number_`i'.dta"

As Kit pointed out, this will be problematic given the stops
(periods) but it is also fragile because evaluating (using =) rather
than copying (not using =) means that the limits on length
of string expressions will bite. Don't evaluate unless you must.

Brent Fulton