Re: st: new package seqlogit available on ssc

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: new package seqlogit available on ssc
Date   Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:32:20 +0100 (BST)

--- Anders Alexandersson <> wrote:
> I just noticed Martin Buis's new -seqlogit- command which looks very
> interesting. How does it improve on Rory Wolfe's -ocratio- command?
> An obvious improvement is the Stata version, 9.2 versus 5.0. Are
> other improvements? Unfortunately, I cannot attend the user meeting
> on September 7.

The main difference with -ocratio- is that -seqlogit- has
post-estimation commands that will decompose the effect of the
explanatory variables on the highest outcome into a effects on passing
transitions and weights assigned to transitions. For instance think of
education: explanatory variables can have an effect on passing the
transitions between levels of education and explanatory variables can
have an effect on the highest achieved level of education. -seqlogit-
has post-estimation tools to link those two types of effects. This only
makes sense if we can meaninfully think of a scale for the highest
achieved level, which is not always the case. If that is not the case
you can still use -seqlogit- but not all postestimation commands will
make sense.

Other differences are:
o -ocratio- only models a series of "stay or leave" decisions,
  -seqlogit- alows for more general decision trees, e.g. branching
  points (a tracked educational system), choices between more than 2
o -ocratio- alows you to model the decisions as a logit, probit or
  cloglog, while -seqlogit- only allows the logit.

I have just added the presentation on -seqlgit- at the Nordic and
Baltic Stata Users Group meeting on Friday September 7th to my website
(, so you can now see the slides.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam