Re: st: Wilcoxon Signed-Rank test.

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Wilcoxon Signed-Rank test.
Date   Sun, 26 Aug 2007 10:50:25 +0100 (BST)

--- "b.qureishi" <> wrote:
> I have normal and non normally distributed data. Im applying the
> Wilcoxon signed-rank test on my non normal variables. However, how
> do I compare and interpet my results againt other non normal
> variables.
> For example, my Z result for Non normal variable X is 3.82, and for
> variable Y the Z value is 2.31.

Are you sure you have performed a signed-rank test(-signrank- in
Stata)? You should never get a result for one variable alone, the test
result is always a comparison of two variables.

So if you want to use to test whether the distribution of variable X is
the same as the distribution of variable Y you type:
signrank X = Y

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam