Re: st: importing LONG string variables

From   "Friedrich Huebler" <[email protected]>
To   [email protected]
Subject   Re: st: importing LONG string variables
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2007 14:00:05 -0400

Denisa,

Is your example an accurate representation of your data? If so, you
have a problem because there are no delimiters around fields with
missing data. Here is a partial answer to your question that will read
the data into Stata, but the columns won't line up.

Step 1: Open the file in a text editor and replace all occurrences of
" comma " by "|" (without quotes). This will yield the following file:

Row1
Name1|Name2|Address1|Address2|PatClass1|PatClass2|PatClass3
Row 2
Name3|Name4|Name5|Address3|Address4|Address5|PatClass4

Step 2: Read the file into Stata with -insheet-

. insheet using test.txt, delimit("|")
. clist, noobs

   v1         v2         v3         v4         v5         v6         v7
 Row1
Name1      Name2   Address1   Address2  PatClass1  PatClass2  PatClass3
Row 2
Name3      Name4      Name5   Address3   Address4   Address5  PatClass4

Step 3: Delete the "Row" entries.

. drop if mod(_n,2)>0
(2 observations deleted)

. clist, noobs

   v1         v2         v3         v4         v5         v6         v7
Name1      Name2   Address1   Address2  PatClass1  PatClass2  PatClass3
Name3      Name4      Name5   Address3   Address4   Address5  PatClass4

Step 4: Save the data as a comma-separated file.

. outsheet using test.csv, comma

When you open the CSV file in a text editor you see this:

v1,v2,v3,v4,v5,v6,v7
"Name1","Name2","Address1","Address2","PatClass1","PatClass2","PatClass3"
"Name3","Name4","Name5","Address3","Address4","Address5","PatClass4"

Variable v3 should have a missing value in the first observation.
Instead it contains Address1. Variables v4 to v7 also contain wrong
data. I do not know how you can address this problem without
information on missing values in your original data.

Friedrich