Re: st: parametric or non-parametric

From   Ronan Conroy <>
Subject   Re: st: parametric or non-parametric
Date   Fri, 24 Aug 2007 18:37:35 +0100

On 24 Aug 2007, at 17:37, Jen McCormick wrote:

My question is whether anyone has had experience analyzing Likert scale data (5 point, anchored scale) using parametric methods and how you transformed the data to correct for non-normal distribution.
I've used ordered logistic regression, which doesn't require transforming your data.

In point of fact, the big problem with your data isn't the non- normality of the distribution so much as the distribution of errors, which is binomial, and the violation of the basic assumptions of arithmetic: a score of 2 on a Likert scale isn't half the value of a score of four.

P Before printing, think about the environment
Ronan Conroy
Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland
120 St Stephen's Green, Dublin 2, Ireland
+353 (0)1 402 2431
+353 (0)87 799 97 95

* For searches and help try: