st: find-replace in stata

From   "Dalhia Mani" <>
Subject   st: find-replace in stata
Date   Wed, 22 Aug 2007 12:56:20 -0500

hi, I have a fairly simple problem for which I am sure STATA has an
easy solution but I can't seem to find it.  I am hoping  you can help

Here is what I need to do:
I have a string variable called company_name which has names like
"microsoft ltd."
What I need to do somehow remove the dot at the end of the "ltd." in
all cases where a dot appears at the end of the ltd.  The equivalent
in excel is a global find-replace.  I tried "recode" but that seems to
work only for numeric variables.

How do I do this?

thanks in advance for your help. I appreciate it.

Dalhia Mani
Department of Sociology
University of Minnesota
Office: 1052 Social Sciences