RE: st: RE: Hypergeometric Distribution

From   "Nick Cox" <>
To   <>
Subject   RE: st: RE: Hypergeometric Distribution
Date   Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:06:20 +0100

Roger's posting includes what I presume is an allusion to
an -egen- function _ghyper.ado that I wrote in 1999.

I withdrew this program as redundant some years ago,
given that you can use something like

comb(K, k) * comb(N - K, n - k) / comb(N, n)

wherever you want. In context N, K, n, k may be
variables, scalars or placeholders for numeric
constants, or any mixture thereof.

This might need a wrapper to yield zeros where
appropriate, or it might need care whenever
individual terms get very large, but otherwise
does it raise any problems?

Marcello Pagano
Newson, Roger B wrote:

> > Thanks to Marcello for telling us all about this recently-published
> > algorithm, which looks very useful. A search on
> >
> > findit hypergeometric
> >
> > in Stata finds a single reference (to a SSC package), which was
> > distributed as long ago as 1999. This suggests that the new
> algorithm
> > might be a good candidate for implementation in Mata by
> Marcello, or by
> > anybody else with the time and inclination to do so.

Marcello Pagano