st: RE: RE: Missing x-axis labels when using graph twoway

From   "Garth Rauscher" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: RE: Missing x-axis labels when using graph twoway
Date   Mon, 20 Aug 2007 15:38:17 -0500

Thank you Nick for answering my two questions about graph labeling and sort
order.

Garth Rauscher
Assistant Professor
SPH Epidemiology and Biostatistics
University of Illinois at Chicago
1603 W Taylor St (M/C/ 923)
Chicago, IL 60612
(312) 413-4317 phone
(312) 996-0064 fax
[email protected] email

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nick Cox
Sent: Thursday, August 16, 2007 12:28 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: st: RE: Missing x-axis labels when using graph twoway

Value labels are not shown by default. You must specify (e.g.) -xla(,
valuelabel)-, as is documented in the help for axis_label_options.

Consider

. sysuse auto
. scatter mpg weight
. sort mpg
. scatter mpg weight

The -sort- affects the sort order of the data, but is irrelevant to the
scatter plot, which is unchanged. What you asked for "did work"; the problem
is in your expectations. You can't do a scatter plot versus weight using the
sort order of mpg because it would no longer be a scatter plot versus
weight. (You can connect points in that order, but that is a different
story.)

In a simpler analogue of your data

users_meeting_venue          order_in_2007

Essen                        1
Boston                       2
Stockholm                    3
London                       4
Roma                         5
Los Angeles                  6

If you -encode users_meeting_venue- you get

encoded users_meeting_venue          order_in_2007

value 1 label Boston                       2
value 2 label Essen                        1
value 3 label London                       4
value 4 label Los Angeles                  6
value 5 label Roma                         5
value 6 label Stockholm                    3

But really what you want to do is to attach the names as labels to
-order_in_2007-!

One solution to your problem to the -egen- function
-axis()- in -egenmore- from SSC. You create a new variable like this:

egen x_axis = axis(_se study), label(study)

and then use -x_axis- as your x axis variable, not -study-.

It may well be that

egen x_axis = axis(_se), label(study)

is enough, but what I wrote first includes protection against ties on
standard error.

Garth Rauscher