st: RE: mlbeta

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: RE: mlbeta
Date   Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:55:08 +0100

-mlbeta- is, or was, a user-written program by Sean (Jack) Buckley.
As your report implies, his personal website on which
his files sat seems to have disappeared.

I have a version of his program on my machine from an
earlier downloading. 0s and 1s are ignored by the program
as a direct or indirect consequence of its use of maximum
likelihood and the fact that ln 0 is indeterminate.

I won't post the program here for three reasons. It is not
mine to do so; as I know no location for the author, that
would be posting a program with no known means of support;
and another program exists, -betafit- on SSC, that offers
an alternative. -betafit- resembles -mlbeta- in not
supporting 0s or 1s.

When people have 0s and 1s that often means that they have
one or more such spikes in their distributions, so that
it can be moot whether a beta model is applicable in any case.

Fuether suggestions in this territory include those here:

FAQ     . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Logit transformation
        8/04    How does one estimate a model when the dependent
                variable is a proportion?
                http://www.stata.com/support/faqs/stat/logit.html

Viktor Slavtchev