Re: st: Inequality Hypothsis test

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Inequality Hypothsis test
Date   Tue, 14 Aug 2007 12:05:53 +0100 (BST)

--- Asgar Khademvatani <> wrote:
> Actually, I am trying to test an inequality hypothesis after
> estimation command such SURE. I tried stata test command and other
> given commands for hypothsis testing but I could not.  Can you
> please let me know how can I test  an inequality hypothesis on Stata?

You can't do that in Stata or in any other package. Remember what a
statistical test is supposed to give you: the probability of drawing
the sample you observed, or a more extreme sample, given that your null
hypothesis is true. So we need to create a distribution of samples
given that he null hypothesis is true. In order to create such a
distribution the null hypothesis must contain an equal sign (either
equal in case of a two sided test, or less than or equal to or more
than or equal to in case of a one sided test).

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081