Re: st: Rates using Poisson

From   "Svend Juul" <SJ@SOCI.AU.DK>
To   <>
Subject   Re: st: Rates using Poisson
Date   Tue, 14 Aug 2007 08:49:02 +0200

Sherry Lipsky wrote:

1) I would like to calculate the age-specific and age-adjusted rates of
hospitalizations among the exposed and unexposed in my population-based
study using Poisson/Negative Binomial models...not just the IRR. Any
ideas how to do this or even if it is possible?

2) Alternatively, how can I obtain an age-adjusted rate just using
standard IR calculations? I seem to only be able to calculate the
unadjusted rate and a M-H RR using the command IR. any options here?

Most of the papers I have read using Poisson analysis report crude rates
without Poisson (although one can calculate CIs with a Poisson
distribution--not sure how to do that in Stata).

I may not understand you right, but... :

You can estimate age-specific rates by -stptime- after a proper -stset-
and -stsplit- of your data.

"Age-adjusted rates" is an ambiguous concept to me. If you mean
standardized to some standard population (direct standardization), the
command is -dstdize-.

I don't understand what you mean by "papers ... using Poisson analysis
report crude rates without Poisson".

Suggested reading: Chapter 14 in Juul S, 2006. An Introduction to Stata
for Health Researchers. Stata Press.

Hope this helps

Svend Juul
Vennelyst Boulevard 6