Re: st: factor analysis - interpreting the results, inclusion of dp variable

From   SR Millis <>
Subject   Re: st: factor analysis - interpreting the results, inclusion of dp variable
Date   Mon, 13 Aug 2007 11:22:07 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Georg,

I'm not certain that I would do a factor analysis with
your data.  Your sample size is large enough to have a
an adequate variable-to-subject ratio. The variable
reduction techniques such PCA are useful primarily
when you need a data/variable reduction
technique--which doesn't seem to be the case here. In
addition, the factors/PCAs add interpretive
complexity.  Moreover, it looks like you're extracting
a large number of factors--which is worrisome.

My inclination would be to fit your model with
individual variables---and to consider the use of
restricted cublic splines if your data warrant their

No, I wouldn't include the "dependent" variable in a
factor analysis or PCA.

SR Millis

--- georg wernicke <>