Re: st: Dropping Variables - Simple Question

From   "Friedrich Huebler" <>
Subject   Re: st: Dropping Variables - Simple Question
Date   Mon, 13 Aug 2007 10:30:29 -0400

There have been several answers to your question. If I understand
correctly, you want to keep all 75 observations. The solution is
therefore not to -drop- any observations but to replace Y by missing

replace Y = . if X == .

On the other hand, perhaps your variables are sorted in a certain way
and you want to delete the contents of the first 25 observations of Y.
Again, the solution uses -replace-.

replace Y = . if _n < 26

Or perhaps your dataset is sorted such that the first 25 observations
have missing values in X and you want to remove those observations
from the dataset. In that case you would indeed use -drop-.

drop if _n < 26

To summarize, it is not clear what exactly you are trying to accomplish.