st: re: xtabond

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: re: xtabond
Date   Thu, 9 Aug 2007 16:27:33 -0400

I want to have arellano-bond estimator in my panel data analysis. I know
the xtabond does the job, but, when I used it in my stata programming, it
always gave me the wrong message. For example:

. tsset prov time;
panel variable: prov (unbalanced)
time variable: time, 1978 to 1998, but with gaps

. xtabond g_lypcc pop100cr a_pol inst, lags(2);
timevar (time) may not contain missing values when option full is

I cannot reproduce this problem. I did 'webuse abdata' and removed a number of observations at random from the middle of the timeseries, creating gaps, so that I get

. tsset
panel variable: id (unbalanced)
time variable: year, 1976 to 1984, but with gaps
delta: 1 unit

. tsreport, list panel

Observations with preceding time gaps
Record | id year
37 | 6 1979
92 | 14 1981
234 | 34 1983

. xtabond n l(0/1).w l(0/2).(k ys) yr1980-yr1984, lags(2)

The xtabond command still runs fine in the presence of gaps in the middle of units' time series.

* For searches and help try: