st: question regarding "merge"

From   "Simon Oertel" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   st: question regarding "merge"
Date   Thu, 9 Aug 2007 10:38:47 +0200

Dear Stata Users,

I have a question regarding the combination of four datasets. I used the
"merge" command which worked well for three of them. However, the fourth
dataset makes me trouble.

All datasets have a variable which enables me to combine them (an ID
that is similar in all datasets). The fourth dataset holds different
information in different rows for the same ID. My problem is that if I
merge the datasets, the number of cases in my final dataset will
increase. To illustrate my problem better, I will give you a quick
example:

1st dataset before "merge":

ID  VariableX
1   40
2   30
3   20
4   10

4th dataset before "merge":

ID  VariableY
1   10
2   20
2   25
2   30
3   30
4   40

The results of my combined dataset looks like that:

ID  VariableX  VariableY
1   40         10
2   30         20
2   30         25
2   30         30
3   20         30
4   10         40

And finally I would like them to look like that:

ID  VariableX  VariableY1  VariableY2  VariableY3
1   40         10
2   30         20          25          30
3   20         30
4   10         40

I really appreciate your help and I am thankful for any suggestions.
Simon