Re: Personal titles [was: st: Thanks (was ...) ]

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: Personal titles [was: st: Thanks (was ...) ]
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2007 19:36:15 +0100 (BST)

--- n j cox <> wrote:
> (c) Getting it wrong and giving someone a title they didn't
> earn -- even if in your personal view they deserve a Big Title --
> can be at least as bad. There are cultures in which you flatter
> by exaggeration, but there are cultures where inflation
> is upsetting too, not least (but not only) because programming
> or academic types can be picky people who like to see all the details

For the record, I have never been offended by anyone calling me a
professor. Mostly it provokes an emotion of mild amusement, especially
since the most common mistake people make when they meet me in person
is to mistake me for a (undergraduate) student.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081