st: stata 10 to R

From   Kit Baum <>
Subject   st: stata 10 to R
Date   Wed, 8 Aug 2007 11:58:08 -0400

A Das said

I've been having trouble reading Stata 10 files
into R. The error message is:

Error in read.dta("C:/new.dta") : not a Stata version
5-8 .dta file

While I realize this is really an R question, I was
wondering if anyone here has had similar problems, and
found a solution. Thanks,

It seems to me the error message is perfectly clear. Stata 8 and 9 datafiles share the same format. R knows how to read them. Stata 10 datafiles have a different format, and even Stata 9 cannot read them. If you have Stata 10, use -saveold- to create a Stata 8/9 format file, which will then be readable by earlier versions of Stata and, presumably, by R.

* For searches and help try: