st: stochastic translog cost frontier: constraints, system

From   "Rat-Wirtzler Julie" <>
Subject   st: stochastic translog cost frontier: constraints, system
Date   Tue, 07 Aug 2007 19:32:43 +0000

I am very novice in estimating cost frontiers with stata.

First,  I want to estimate a simple frontier cost function (using a translo=
form) and I don't see any recommandations about the order of variables in
the help for the frontier command. In FRONTIER4.1 the explanatory variables
must be put in a certain order, say, output first and then the prices of
inputs. I thought that this imposed order in FRONTIER4.1 was to allow for
constraining the estimation (traditional constraints of costs functions:
linear homogeneity of degree 1 with respect to prices, symmetry
So maybe I misunderstand: When we estimate cost frontier, is it a restricte=
estimation like cost function estimation or not?

Second, I'd like to know whether it's possible using stata to estimate a
translog cost system (cost equation + input shares equations).

Thanks a lot for your help. Best Regards,

D=E9couvrez le Blog heroic Fantaisy d'Eragon!