st: NLOGIT in Stata 10

From   "Stephan Brunow" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: NLOGIT in Stata 10
Date   Tue, 7 Aug 2007 11:54:38 +0200

Dear all,

since the nested logit gets a bit easier in data handling, we are triing the following. (Hopefully, now I make all right in posting ☺)

webuse restaurant, clear
nlogitgen lev1=restaurant(R1: 1 2, R2: 3 4 5, R3: 6 7)
nlogitgen lev2=lev1(N1: R1 R2, N2: R3)
nlogittree  restaurant lev1 lev2, choice(chosen)
constraint 1 [N2_tau]_cons=1
constraint 2[R3_tau]_cons=1
nlogit chosen distance rating cost || lev1: kids || lev2: income || restaurant:, noconstant case(family_id) constraint(1 2)

We probably face the problem of a degenerate nest. However, we still get the error message:

"at least one alternative of vkms is contained in muliple alternatives of profiles; this is not allowed"

and do not know how to deal with it.

Do you have some advice?

Thank you very much in advance,

Stephan Brunow
MSc. in Economics und Diplom-Verkehrswirtschaftler
Professur für VWL, insb. Makroökonomik und Raumwirtschaftslehre/Regionalwissenschaften
Institut für Wirtschaft und Verkehr
Fakultät für Verkehrswissenschaften „Friedrich List"
Technische Universität Dresden
D-01062 Dresden

Phone: ++49-(0)351-463-36806
Fax: ++49-(0)351-463-36819