Re: st: Binomial regression

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Binomial regression
Date   Sat, 4 Aug 2007 07:47:11 +0100 (BST)

--- Marcello Pagano <> wrote:
> I agree wholeheartedly that the risk difference is sometimes
> preferable to the odds ratio. Witness what is currently going on with
> the attack on Avandia.  Rather than report a risk difference of 0.2%
> in the MI rate, we are faced with a risk INCREASE of 40% -- the
> effect of going from 0.5% to 0.7%.  If reported as a risk difference
> it would probably not have made the headlines it has nor created the
> furor it has.

At this point I think that there is room for improvement in Stata
output. When reporting odds ratios after -logit-, Stata will not report
the baseline odds (-exp(_cons)-), So Stata reports that the odds
increased with 40%, but not that the baseline odds is .005 (at these
low probabilities risks and odds are almost the same). I would like to
see the baseline odds and the odds ratios, because both give very
useful information about the size of the effect, as Marcello's
example illustrates.

-- Maarten

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam