RE: st: A gentler introduction to Statalist and Seven Deadly Sins

From   "Nick Cox" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: A gentler introduction to Statalist and Seven Deadly Sins
Date   Wed, 1 Aug 2007 00:42:43 +0100

I am a bit confused. I may well have contributed to this confusion
myself by writing at cross-purposes with Roy's concerns.

If Roy wants something different from the FAQ, he should feel free to
write what he wants, and post it where he wants. If he's right, and it
gives good guidance, it will be very much appreciated. Whether it's
labelled official or not doesn't matter if it strikes the right chords.

I sense from various public and some private posts quite a range of
views on what is appropriate Statalist conduct, including -- but not
only -- those moved to speak out critically about what they think is an
over-critical tone in some posts, from myself and some others.
Naturally, I note that expression of opinion with respect. It's your
list too.  I am not clear why some who have spoken out seem to regard
their own kind of criticism as "fair comment", but not others'. However,
it is very important in this atmosphere that people feel free to express
a range of views on the list.

Most crucially, no one wants a list riven by dispute or marred by tone.

For myself, I really don't want to extend the FAQ in the direction that
Roy suggests, particularly because it seems futile to try and
second-guess what he has in mind, which is still not completely clear to
me, and because, as said, I don't want to lengthen an FAQ criticised
as being too long.

He makes several detailed suggestions about the FAQ, which I won't
respond to one by one, but they are helpful.

I don't agree with Roy's suggestions about order. Joining the list
should be explained before discussing how to post.  I'd be more
convinced by this argument if I heard a chorus of agreement, but so far
this is a lone view.

I agree with Roy that imputation of motive is tricky territory, but
I suggest it's better to guess at an attempt at banter rather than intention to
impugn or insult.

roy wada