Re: st: A gentler introduction to Statalist and Seven Deadly Sins

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: A gentler introduction to Statalist and Seven Deadly Sins
Date   Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:17:59 +0100 (BST)

--- roy wada <> wrote:
> How is someone who doesn't know to know if they have given
> you enough information to answer their questions?
> They can't. It's hard enough to grasp a problem, much less
> express it. They probably don't need the help if they could do
> it unassisted.

I wasn't claiming that asking questions is easy, I am claiming that
people get so absorbed in their research / discipline that they forget
that what their data looks like / their terminology / their prominent
publications are not normal and well known outside their world. I
sympathize with that as I often make that mistake myself, but in order
ask questions to people outside your world (e.g. statalist) you need to
realize that.

So I was not trying to come up with a list of thing one should not do,
but with a list of one thing you should do: try to imagine if someone
else outside your discipline can even understand the question.

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081
1081 HV Amsterdam