Re: st: Getting a varlist of included variables in estimation

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: Getting a varlist of included variables in estimation
Date   Tue, 31 Jul 2007 12:42:01 +0100 (BST)

--- Hendri Adriaens <> wrote:
> I have a lot of dummies in a dataset. I include them all during
> estimation, but depending on the subsample that I do the estimation
> on, some are dropped automatically due to multicollinarity. I would
> like to quickly test all dummies that are included in the model, with
> a for loop over the included dummies. But how do I get a varlist of
> the included dummies?

-indeplist- (which you can download with -ssc-) will give you a list of
independent variables in your model, but it includes the dropped
variables. The standard error of the dropped variables is returned as 0
(though displayed as .), so you can loop over the variables and only
perform the test on those variables whose _se[] is not 0. See the
example below:

*-------------- begin example -------------
sysuse auto, clear
dummieslab rep78

regress pr rep78_* if foreign == 1
indeplist, local
foreach var of local X {
	if _se[`var'] != 0 {
		test `var'
regress pr rep78_* if foreign == 0
indeplist, local
local nodrop ""
foreach var of local X {
	if _se[`var'] != 0 {
		test `var'
*--------------- end example --------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081