st: RE: Generate data and matrix from unbalanced panel

From   "Maarten Buis" <>
To   <>
Subject   st: RE: Generate data and matrix from unbalanced panel
Date   Mon, 30 Jul 2007 10:32:40 +0200

Nguyen Cong Minh wrote:
> But I don't know how to write a program can do this transformation and give
> me pd and Np into vector pd[.,1], Np[.,1],
> (in this example, pd[]=(1 2 3)' and Np[]=(2 1 2)').And how I can use
> pd[.,1], Np[.,1] to partition
> the whole transformed matrix [Id yr var1 var2 var3] into blocks(i) [Id yr
> var1 var2 var3] with rows = pd[i,1]*Np[i,1]?

I don't think you need any matrices or vectors. Can't you just make an
identifier variable in much the same way as you did before and use -if- to
identify the rows? Unless you are using mata, you definitely do not want to
store pd and Np in vectors, but rather in locals, but as I said that won't
be necessary anyhow.

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam