RE: st: -warning: variables in at() list not found in model after mfx or mfx2

From   "Mentzakis, Emmanouil" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: -warning: variables in at() list not found in model after mfx or mfx2
Date   Sat, 21 Jul 2007 16:11:48 +0100

Dear Richard and Jean,

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Cheers
Manos

-----Original Message-----
From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Richard
Williams
Sent: 21 July 2007 06:07
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: st: -warning: variables in at() list not found in model
after mfx or mfx2

At 05:56 PM 7/20/2007, Jean Marie Linhart, StataCorp. wrote:
>Mirko <mirko.moro at gmail dot com> and others have reported a
>mysterious warning message with -mfx2- after -regoprob-, identifying
>that it is generated by -mfx- when the variable list in the original
>estimation and
>-at()- specification are long.  We have been able to reproduce this
>problem.
>
>We believe the results from -mfx- are correct; the warning message is
>not correct and can be ignored.  We want to do a little more exploring,

>and we will report back to the list with a definitive answer.

Thanks Jean.  -mfx- subprograms -at- and -Parseatlist- include a lot of
equals signs when working with strings, and also use the string
functions -trim- and -index-.  I think some or all of these can have
problems once strings get to be more than 244 characters.  In
particular, mfx subprogram Parseatlist includes the lines

                 if index("`vars'","`thing1'")==0 {
                         local unfnd ="`unfnd'"+ " `thing1'"
                 }

That eventually leads to a false warning message if thing1 does not
occur within the first 244 characters of vars.  I changed those lines to

                 local unfnd: list thing1 - vars

and the error went away.  Anyway, I think that is among the changes that
could/should be made in mfx.

As far as I can tell though, you are correct in saying that, despite the
incorrect warning, mfx does produce the correct results.

OFFICE: (574)631-6668, (574)631-6463
HOME:   (574)289-5227
EMAIL:  [email protected]
WWW:    http://www.nd.edu/~rwilliam