Re: st: wrapping title with by option

From   "David Elliott" <>
Subject   Re: st: wrapping title with by option
Date   Fri, 20 Jul 2007 22:17:12 -0300

I'd like to return to Maartin's original observation that one can't
feed a compound-quoted value label into a graphing -by(var)-.  A
little experimentation will show that one can feed compound quoted
strings into most textbox graph areas (I say most because I didn't
check all and all the ones checked, worked.)  Stata creates graph
objects through the complex class system and, although I tried to
track the -by(var)- into the belly of the beast, I couldn't find where
the value label to subtitle handoff took place.  However, one would
intuit that what happens is different, somehow, than creating
-subtitle(`:lab (foreign) 0')- and -subtitle(`:lab (foreign) 1')- .

So my question would be, quite aside from the excellent discussion of
whether a two line subtitle is advisable when one is creating a -graph
...,by(var)-, is such a feature feasible?

D.C. Elliott