RE: st: List with strings containing spaces

From   "Maarten Buis" <[email protected]>
To   <[email protected]>
Subject   RE: st: List with strings containing spaces
Date   Thu, 19 Jul 2007 15:58:51 +0200

--- K Jensen wrote:
> Just out of curiosity: how would you take the names of the variables
> from the column names of e(B) - in an unspecified order - and generate
> a list of selected descriptors *without* using a loop?

You can extract the column names from e(b) using -indeplist-
and you can use extended macro functions to manipulate the
content. In particular with the -subinstr- you can replace
ugly names with pretty names which may contain spaces as
long as you remember to use compound quotes, see
-help extended_fcn- and the example below. However if you
want to use these names as column names than you should
remember that spaces in column names are not well supported.
You can use the underscore instead of a space and when
displaying the matrix you can use -matlist- with the
-underscore- option. This will replace the underscore with
a space in the resulting table.

Hope this helps,
Maarten

*--------- begin example ---------------
sysuse cancer, clear
stset studytime, failure(died)
xi: stcox i.drug age
indeplist, local
local X : subinstr local X "_Idrug_2" `""drug 2""'
local X : subinstr local X "_Idrug_3" `""drug 3""'
di `"`X'"'
*---------- end example -----------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see
http://home.fsw.vu.nl/m.buis/stata/exampleFAQ.html )

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081