Re: st: reverse variable order

From   Maarten buis <>
Subject   Re: st: reverse variable order
Date   Tue, 17 Jul 2007 07:30:19 +0100 (BST)

--- Buzz Burhans <> wrote:
> Is anyone aware of a shortcut / easy way to reverse the order of all
> or some variables in a dataset without specifying -move- or -order-
> for each variable specifically or individually?
> I have data that comes in looking like:
> Var1 var2 var3 x1 x2 x3...xn
> Where xn is a series of variables with sequential suffix n and the
> value of n varies with the data source.  I need to reverse the order
> of the to
> Var1 var2 var3 xn...x3 x2 x1

If the other variables do not start with x than you can create a list
of the variables you want to reverse order with the -unab- function.
See example below:

*---------- begin example --------------
sysuse auto, clear
forvalues i = 1/10 {
	gen x`i' = uniform()

unab vars : x*

/*check whether x is only folowed by a number*/
local check : subinstr local vars "x" "", all
local check : subinstr local check " " "", all
confirm number `check'

local k : word count `vars'
local allvars "`r(varlist)'"
local order : list allvars - vars
forvalues i = `k'(-1)1 {
	local order "`order' x`i'"
order `order'
*---------- end example -------------------
(For more on how to use examples I sent to the Statalist, see )

Hope this helps,

Maarten L. Buis
Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam
Boelelaan 1081